Associate of Motueka ICM
Please follow link below to Breck's University of Vermont web page
- BS (Chemistry & Zoology), University of Georgia, US, 1973
- MS (Zoology), North Carolina State University, US, 1976
- PhD (Zoology), North Carolina State University, US, 1982
- New Zealand Hydrological Society
- American Geophysical Union
- American Benthological Society
Role with ICM
- Past Programme Leader for ICM Motueka preogramme.
- Ecosystem processes affecting water and solute dynamics at land-water (land-atmosphere) interfaces.
- Integrated catchment management
- Flow path dynamics at hillslope to catchment scales
- Environmental impacts of applying municipal biosolids in forest lands
- Linkages between benthic primary production and nitrogen cycling in Arctic tundra streams
- Influences of hyporheic dynamics on nutrient processing in arctic tundra streams
- The Lotic Intersite Nitrogen Experiment (LINX): Comparative nitrogen cycling in headwater streams
- Influences of riparian zone geomorphology on nitrogen fluxes to tropical rain forest streams
- Impacts of whole-tree harvesting on N2O losses from a northern hardwood forest
- Nitrogen cycling in tidal freshwater wetland
Bowden, W.B. 1986: Gaseous nitrogen emissions from undisturbed terrestrial ecosystems: an assessment of their impacts on local and global nitrogen budgets. Biogeochemistry 2: 49-279.
Bowden, W.B.; Bormann, F. H. 1986: Soil water transport and loss of nitrous oxide after forest clearcutting. Science 233: 867-869.
Bowden, W.B. 1987: The biogeochemistry of nitrogen in freshwater wetlands. Biogeochemistry 4: 313-348.
Bowden, W.B.; Vorosmarty, C. J.; Morris, J. M.; Peterson, B. J.; Hobbie, J. E.; Steudler, P. S.; Moore, B. 1991: Transport and processing of nitrogen in a tidal freshwater wetland. Water Resources Research 27(3):389-408.
Bowden, W.B.; McDowell, W.H.; Asbury, C. E.; Finley, A. M. 1992: Riparian nitrogen dynamics in two geomorphologically distinct tropical rain forest watersheds: Nitrous oxide fluxes. Biogeochemistry 18:77-99.
Bowden, W.B.; Smith, C. T. 1992: Forest utilization of wood ash: Soil chemical changes and effects on forest vegetation. Final project report to North Country Resource Conservation and Development, Inc.
Smith, C.T.; Bowden, W. B.; Howard, T. H. 1993: Matching forest soils research with northeastern land use trends. Chapter 7 in Sims, T. (ed.) Agricultural research in the northeastern United States: a critical review. Proceedings of the Northeast Branch of the American Society of Agronomy, 1992. American Society of Agronomy. Madison, Wisconsin.
Hershey, A.; Bowden, W. B.; Deegan, L.; Hobbie, J. E.; Peterson, B. J.; Kipput, G.; Kling, G.; Lock, M.; Miller, M.; Vestal, R. (In press) The Kuparuk River: a long-term study of biological and chemical processes in an arctic river. In: Milner, A.; Oswood, M. (ed.). Alaskan Freshwaters. Springer-Verlag. New York..
Medalie, L.; Bowden, W. B.; Smith, C. T. 1994: Nutrient leaching following land application of municipal sewage sludge in a mixed northern hardwood forest.Journal of Environmental Quality 28:130-138.
Bowden, W.B. 1996: Best management practices for sustainable forestry: the functioning wetland interface. Proceedings of the Society of American Foresters. Pp. 115-120.
Catricala, C.; Bowden, W. B.; Smith, C. T.; McDowell, W. H. 1996: Chemical characteristics of leachate pulp and paper mill residuals used to reclaim sandy soils. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 89:1-21.
Arscott,D.B.; Bowden, W. B.; Finlay J. C. 1998: Comparison of epilithic algal and bryophyte metabolism in an arctic tundra stream, Alaska. Journal of the North American Benthological Society 17(2): 210-227.
Ashby, J.; Bowden, W. B.; Murdoch, P. 1998: Controls on denitrification in headwater catchments of a hardwood forest in the Catskill Mountains, New York. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 30(7): 853-864.
Hallet,R.; Smith, C. T.;Bowden, W. B.. 1999: Nitrogen dynamics in forest soils after municipal sludge additions. Water, Air and Soil Pollution 112: 259-278.
The Stream Bryophyte Group (Bowden, organizer and lead author). 1999: Roles of bryophytes in stream ecosystems. Journal of the North American Benthological Society 18(2):151-184.
Wollheim, W.M.; Peterson, B. J.; Deegan, L. A.; Bahr, M.; Hobbie, J. E.; Jones, D.; Bowden, W. B.; Hershey, A. E.; Kling, G. W.; Miller, M. C. 1999: A coupled field and modelling approach for the analysis of nitrogen cycling in streams. Journal of the North American Benthological Society 18(2): 199- 21.